The Doka Estate Coffee Tour
Tour this a very large coffee plantation and go from the beginning to the end of the coffee growing and roasting story. It is very educational. Doka Estate is located in the coffee capital of Costa Rica, Sabanilla, Alajuela. The farm belongs to the Costa Rican Vargas Ruiz family, pioneers of coffee production for more than 70 years.
In 2000 and 2001 Doka Estate was awarded as the best Estate coffee of Costa Rica for two consecutive years by the Associación Semana International del Café (SINTERCAFE).
From the Seed to the Cup
The main objective of the Coffee Tour is to educate and inform the local and international population with regard to the whole production process as well as the processing of coffee. The tour takes place on the Doka Estate, where you can learn about the production, the harvesting, the processing plant and the roasting of the grain.
Costa Rica has a large variety of microclimates and altitudes within short distances. This route explains how the different climatic factors favor the taste of our coffee.
Guided by an expert, the visitors will receive extensive information, which will make this activity an incomparable experience.
* The tour begins in the seedbed. There you will observe and be explained the development process of the plant up to the point of recollection of the ripe grain. You will also learn about the history of the estate, its owners, the production and varieties of plants, the geography of the area and the traditional ways of cultivating the grain.
* The second station is the oldest humid coffee processing plant, declared to be an Architectural Heritage for Humanity in 2003, that works by hydraulic power. In the receiver you can see the first classification of the grains, afterwards the process of de-pulping of first and second quality coffee takes place in the grinders.
* Next, the natural honey of the grain is cut in the fermentation tanks and a process is carried out that is significant to the taste of the coffee. The coffee that has been dried in the Guardiola or on the patios under the sun, is stored in the warehouse. This grain is ready to be peeled, and then exported or roasted in the country.
* Finally, the roasting plant Café Tres Generaciones is visited, where you will be explained and can observe the different types of roasts that are offered.
* Once the tour is over, a visit is made to the Doka Estate souvenir shop, where you can find the coffee packed in sealed bags. You can also find pieces omade by Costa Rican craftsmen.
* You will enjoy a wonderful typical lunch at the Estate restaurant overlooking the coffee fields
Note: This tour may be added to your itinerary but only from San Jose
IMPORTANT NOTE - Please be advised that every reasonable effort has been made to keep all prices up to date and free of errors or omissions. Prices and policies from our vendors and the Costa Rican government are subject to change without notice. Invoices will be issued at the time of booking to confirm all final rates and offers.
For More Information & Reservations Phone 877 853-0538 M - F, 9 - 5 ET Or EMail Anytime