Costa Rica authorities have announced initial phases for reopening its borders to residents of Select US States starting Sept 1. These analyzed and gradual are part of the first steps to revitalize the hard-hit tourism industry in Costa Rica.
The Costa Rican Tourism Board (ICT) announced that residents from New York, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Main, Vermont, and Connecticut will be allowed to travel to Costa Rica with this initial phase with additional states to follow shortly in the following phases. This announcement is in addition to the Aug 1 opening allowing citizens from Canada, the UK, and the European Union* in its first phase of reopening to international tourism.
Below is a list of Costa Rica initial requirements for entry for US visitors
To visit Costa Rica, guests need to travel from an authorized country, fulfill the entry requirements, and observe national and local protocols. If you don’t meet the entry requirements, you cannot board the plane and you cannot layover in unauthorized countries (including the US). The list of authorized countries will be reviewed and updated every 2 weeks by the Costa Rican Government.
- You must complete the online ‘health form‘, from Costa Rica’s Ministry of Health. (The form must be filled out within 48 hours of your flight)
- You must have proof of a negative PCR-RT Covid-19 test taken within 48 hours of your departure to Costa Rica for anyone over 12 years old.
- Visitors from the United States must show that they live in one of the authorized states. The Costa Rica government is currently accepting a driver’s license issued from the approved states as proof.
- You must purchase health insurance approved by the General Superintendent of Insurance in Costa Rica. This can be a pre-approved policy, from the National Insurance Institute or Sagicor in Costa Rica, or a foreign policy meeting the below criteria. Until a digital system is developed, policies will be checked upon arrival by the Costa Rican Tourist Board. If a foreign insurance policy fails to meet the criteria, tourists will have to purchase a pre-approved plan at the airport. Policies must be:
- Valid for the duration of the visit to Costa Rica,
- Cover $50,000 in medical expenses in cases of Covid-19,
- Include a minimum of $2,000 for expenses of extended lodging due to Covid-19.
Current Safety Protocols that need to be observed:
- You must wear a mask in all indoor, public spaces
- You must observe social distancing
- You must wash or sanitize your hands before entering public spaces
- Tourists must abide by local orange and yellow zone rules
- Tourists do not have to quarantine on arrival
- Rental cars, tourist transport, and taxis are exempt from the driving restrictions
- Public transport is operating normally nationwide
Ready to get back in the water
If you are able to travel in the near future or are just looking to get a head start on booking your dive vacation for 2021. Check out some of our great deals and get your dive trip booked today.